Sweet and sour rib is one of the familiar dishes in the meals of many Vietnamese families. However, there need to have the secret to cook this dish. In this article, we will guide you 2 ways to make sweet and sour ribs with Northern and Southern styles. With these simple recipes, you can cook at home.
1. Northern recipe for sweet and sour ribs
- Ribs: 500gr
- 2 tomatoes
- Garlic, shallot, chili
- Seasoning, sugar, salt, pepper, rice vinegar and cooking oil
- Peel and wash shallots and garlics, and let it dry. Then, crush them.
- Remove stem of chili with a knife. Wash and slice it.
- Remove stalk of tomato and wash. Cut into four halves and remove seeds. Then, cut into small dices.
- Wash the ribs and cut into pieces. Dip it into the boiling water with a little salt. Then, wash them again and let them dry.
- Marinade the ribs with ½ spoon of seasoning, ½ spoon of sugar, ½ teaspoon of salt and 1/3 spoon of pepper.
- Mix them well and put aside for 30 minutes. With this way, the ribs will be tastier with typical taste as Northern people’s style.
- Make sweet and sour sauce: 2 spoons of rice vinegar into a bowl. Add 2 spoons of sugar, 5 spoons of boiled water and ½ spoon of salt. Stir well until sugar and salt are completely soluble.
How to make sweet and sour ribs with Northern style
- Turn on the stove and make the pan hot enough before adding 4 spoons of oil to the pan. When the oil is boiling, add the minced shallot and garlic. After a few minutes, pick out the shallot and garlic.
- Then, set the heat at medium and fry ribs until two sides turn evenly yellow brown.
- Pick out the fried ribs and put them onto oil absorbent paper to remove the excessive oil.
- Add tomato dices and stir well. After a few minutes of stirring, add sweet and sour sauce. Taste it again.
- Continue cooking until the sauce is gelatinous. Next, add the fried ribs and stir well again.
- Add some chili slices and cook for 1 or 2 more minutes
- Finally, taking the sweet and sour ribs into a plat and sprinkle a little pepper on the top before savor.
2. Southern recipe for sweet and sour ribs
- Ribs: 500gr
- Garlic, shallot, chili
- Spring onions
- Seasoning, sugar, salt, pepper, apple vinegar and cooking oil
- For shallot, garlic, chili and ribs, you follow the guidelines as for Northern recipe.
- Remove stalks of spring onions and wash. Slice them.
- How to make apple vinegar sauce: Add 2 spoons of apple vinegar (or 2 spoons of lime juice/2 spoons of tamarind juice) into a bowl. Add 1 spoon of sugar, 3 spoons of boiled water and 1/3 spoon of salt. Mix them well.
- If you use tamarind, use spoon to crush tamarind and use the cheese cloth or sieve to get the juice. Also, you should remember to add 100ml water into the bowl and mix well.
How to make sweet and sour ribs with Southern style
- Stir fry ribs until it is well done and turns yellow brown.
- Turn on the stove and make the pan hot enough before adding 3 spoons of cooking oil.
- Then, add minced garlic and shallot into the pan. Stir well and add ribs to continue stir frying.
- After a few more minutes, add the sauce and some chili slices. Stir well again.
- Turn the heat to low and continue cooking until the sauce gets … Taste it again.
- Add spring onions and 1/3 teaspoon of pepper
- Finally, put the sweet and sour ribs into a plate and enjoy with hot steamed rice.
Tips for you:
- Because ribs are the main ingredient for this dish, so you need to know how to choose ribs. Delicious ribs will ensure the elements including smell, color and elasticity of meat. It must be light pink. You should also choose ribs with small bone, cartilage bone, more lean and less fat.
- In case of no apple vinegar, you can use squeeze lime or tamarind to get the juice.
With two above mentioned recipes, hope that you can choose for yourself the suitable one to cook and serve your family and friends. Enjoy your meal!